NSW Fair Trading has announced that new strata and community scheme laws will start on 30 September 2022. These changes relate to electronic voting for meetings and using an electronic form of the common seal when executing documents. These changes will take over from the temporary COVID-19 measures for strata and community schemes.
The key changes starting on 30 September 2022 include:
- Strata and community schemes can meet and vote in person, or by using electronic means specified in the meeting notice without the need for a prior resolution. The exception is for pre-meeting electronic voting, which still needs a prior resolution.
- If using electronic voting at a meeting, reasonable steps must be taken to ensure eligible voters can participate in and vote at the meeting.
- Updated procedures for nominating and electing strata and association committee members and office holders.
- Schemes can keep and use an electronic form of their seal for the execution of documents.
Transitioning to the new laws
If a scheme arranged pre-meeting electronic voting for a matter before 30 September 2022 for a meeting held on or after 30 September, a prior resolution is not required.
For more information
Visit the strata and community scheme webpages to find out more about what the changes mean for you:
- Community schemes
- Strata schemes: meeting and voting and executing documents
- or call NSW Fair Trading on 13 32 20.
Access details on the changes to the laws online: